Make your very own vintage-inspired Travel Bag! The newly released, Townsend Travel Bag Sewing Pattern has been written as a a Learn as you Sew™ Pattern! You’ll learn essential tips and techniques about sewing bags as you create this project. I’ll take you step-by-step so you’ll produce a professional looking bag.
The name and design of this bag was inspired by American Actress Eva Marie Saint and the movie North by Northwest. I'm a huge fan of classic, black and white movies. All of my patterns are named after a classic movie, song, or actor. Townsend is a functional bag ideal for day trips and traveling! The structured train case bottom is perfect for bulky items you want to protect, and have easy access to. Use Townsend as a carry on, gym bag, weekender, doll bag, retreat bag, or however you’d like! Here are a few ideas I came up with!
- As a carry on bag, you could store a neck pillow in the bottom compartment, and in the top store books, magazines and snacks for the flight!
- Townsend makes a great gym bag - store shoes underneath and an extra change of clothes in the top along with snacks and drinks.
- It also makes the perfect size for a weekend away. Store toiletries and shoes underneath, with clothes up top.
- How cute would this bag be to store an 18" doll and accessories? It would be a great bag for little ones to take on play dates or on a trip to grandma's house!
- I would love to take this bag to a sewing retreat. I would store my project in the top and notions in the bottom to keep my supplies organized
This bag features a train case bottom compartment, front pocket, lining pocket, handles, detachable crossbody strap, and an optional suitcase strap. As always, I’ll take you step-by-step, so you’ll learn just how easy it is to produce a professional-looking bag! Included are step-by-step graphics to help make the written directions easier to understand. Also included are many sewing techniques and tips to help you achieve a quality, finished project. This pattern is designed to help you learn and expand your sewing skills!
I recommend using quilting cotton or canvas for the exterior and contrast. Quilting cotton can be used for the lining. This bag has a more professional, long-lasting finish if the recommended fabrics are used. This pattern would not be possible without my wonderful group of pattern testers! I appreciate their hard work! Thank you!
Share photos of this pattern using #SallieTomato and #TownsendTravelBag. Share in the Sallie Tomato Facebook Group, Instagram, and other social sites! I hope you enjoy this pattern and enjoy sewing this unique style of bag! Jess from Sallie Tomato P.S. If you enjoy my patterns and purse supplies, let your local fabric shop know that I sell wholesale! Thank you for your continued support and for your love of sewing!